Unity Technologies today released its ‘By The Numbers’ report in an effort to help developers better understand mobile gaming trends, app usage, and OS penetration through the global metrics it receives every time one of 20 million mobile games made with Unity is installed daily. The findings, unveiled at Unite Boston 2015, reveal a far-reaching global snapshot of the mobile gaming industry at the time of install.
“The mobile gaming industry continues to grow with an unprecedented number of games downloaded by device owners, and Unity is humbled to be a leading driver of that revolution,” said John Cheng, General Manager of Unity Analytics. “The analytics we present in this report turn millions of daily install events into meaningful, actionable data that provides a snapshot of the state of the industry.”
Unity developers already know the power and pervasiveness of the Unity game development platform, and are able to use the granular analytical information to help inform their development and business decisions.
The report builds on download totals between April 1 and July 31, 2015 to deliver metrics that measure the continuing reach and pervasiveness of the Unity platform, including:
- A total of 174,183 (174K) unique games or apps made with Unity
- Which generated 2,471,221,822 (2.5B) install events, approximately 20 million install events per day
- Reaching 1,104,635,344 (1.1B) unique devices, as an average of 9 million new devices installed a game made with Unity every day
Because of its wide, cross-platform footprint in the industry – with 45 percent of the market share in mobile for game engines – Unity is uniquely positioned to interpret platform usage data as a means of discovering relevant trends, app usage, and OS penetration.
The Unity metrics surfaced interesting trends in the areas of mobile platform diversity, including:
- 74% of all mobile game installations were on an Android device, with iOS devices at 17 percent
- The controlled iOS ecosystem results in more users running the latest iOS version, though, with 77% of installs occurring on 8.x, and 97% running 7.x (8.0 was released in September 2014; version 7.0 was released in September 2013)
- For iOS, the iPhone market (60%) is considerably robust in comparison to the iPad market (36%).
- On Android, less than 9% of installs were on devices running the latest Android 5.x OS
- The three most common Android versions (4.4, 4.2 and 4.1) account for 78% of all Android installs
This ‘By The Numbers’ report is available for download at http://unity3d.com/bythenumbers.
About Unity Technologies
Unity Technologies is the creator of Unity, a flexible and high-performance end-to-end development platform used to create rich interactive 3D and 2D experiences. Unity’s powerful graphics engine and full-featured editor serve as the foundation to develop beautiful games or apps and easily bring them to multiple platforms: mobile devices, home entertainment systems, personal computers, and embedded systems. Unity also offers solutions and services for creating games, boosting productivity, and connecting with audiences including the Unity Asset Store, Unity Cloud Build, Unity Multiplayer, Unity Analytics, Unity Ads, and Unity Everyplay. Unity Technologies serves over 1 million monthly active developers including large publishers, indie studios, students and hobbyists around the globe. For more information, visit: http://unity3d.com.